Web Frameworks have become an essential part for developing robust and interactive web applications for both frontend and backend. It helps create necessary online platforms and leads to the complicacy of technologies. With many choices available in backend frameworks, finding a suitable one that ensures utmost scalability and performance is tough.
Hence, to help you, we present some popular backend frameworks to utilize in web application development. Let’s read on to learn more!
What Are The Different Types Of Web Frameworks?
The two primary types of web frameworks are:
A client-side or front-end framework helps you improve and implement a new user interface. It has no connection with business logic; hence, it considers the work that occurs in the browser.
With SPAs (Single-Page Applications) and front-end development frameworks, you can fabricate many animated traits. No client-side framework is similar due to its functions and use.
A server-side or back-end framework’s architecture enables the creation of simple pages, landings, and different forms. Apart from delivering output data, it boosts security during web attacks.
The framework primarily works on accurate and essential details, without which your app won’t function properly. These important characteristics ease the backend web development process.
What is Backend Framework?
A backend or server-side framework is the library of tools and modules that helps in building the architecture of a website. It significantly impacts a web app’s performance and can decide your project’s success. Backend frameworks mainly help make tasks convenient and easy for developers.
Why Use a Backend Framework?
A backend framework usually aims to automate the output associated with the software development functions. The primary benefits of using this framework for web development include:
Furthermore, most of these backend frameworks are open-source. Read on to learn more about the popular backend web development frameworks!
What Are the Best Backend Frameworks to Use in 2022?
The best backend web app frameworks provide high performance, fast development, and flexibility for your web development projects. Let’s discuss each of them in detail!
Django is an open-source, and one of the best Python-based web frameworks. It’s a free solution that helps build database-driven, complex websites. The best Django apps are Spotify, DropBox, and Washington Post.
Startups that prioritize high-quality web design should go for Django web development. You can use this framework in XML, JSON, and HTML format. According to StackOverflow Developer Survey, Django has been the most wanted web development framework in 2021.
Key Features of Django
Here are the key features of Django:
- Scalability: Django is scalable because of its caching option and code reusability feature, making Django apps effectively deal with traffic demand.
- Security: Django helps developers refrain from many security problems like SQL injections, CSRF attacks, and XSS by default.
- Added Battery: Due to this exceptional feature, developers can utilize packages for including functions rather than code-writing from the beginning. It’s time-saving, and developers can concentrate on other app areas.
- Asynchronous Programming: Depending on Model-View-Template architecture, Python-based Django can run anywhere and supports reactive and asynchronous programming.
Benefits of Using Django
Here’s why you should use Django for web app development:
- SEO Optimized: Django-based apps are easy to optimize and SEO-friendly as you can maintain them on servers via URLs rather than IP addresses.
- Speedy Development: Django enables developers to utilize several elements simultaneously. You don’t have to write separate codes for any new functionality. Moreover, it helps create MVPs quickly.
- Larger Community Support: Django has a wide community with over 2000 developers. With such assistance, you can get the best solution for your issues faster than ever.
- Versatile Use Cases: Django gives scopes to create all types of websites, ranging from CMS (Content Management Systems) to social networking and news websites.
Express.js is an adaptable and lightweight Node.js web app framework. It provides a set of functions for web and mobile applications. Developers use this MEAN stack backend framework for building online apps and APIs.
According to the Stackoverflow Developer Survey, Express was rated one of the most used web frameworks in 2021 by 23.82% of respondents.
Myntra, Accenture, Uber, MuleSoft, MySpace, IBM and other big companies use Express.js these days for web development.
Key Features of Express
- Middleware: It’s a part of Express that can access the client request, database, etc. Usually, it is accountable for the streamlined organization of various functions of Express.js.
- Rapid Server-Side Development: Express offers numerous standard features of Node.js that you can use anywhere in the program. Thereby, it saves development time.
- Templating: Express offers template engines that help developers create dynamic webpage content by developing HTML templates on the server-side.
- Routing: Express boasts an advanced routing system that allows preserving a webpage’s state using URLs.
- Debugging: Express makes debugging more convenient by offering a debugging technique to figure out the precise parts of a web app containing bugs.
Benefits of Using Express
Here’s why you should use Express.js for web development:
- Fast Scalability: Express helps you scale your web app faster. With the assistance of Node.js and some additional resources, you can rapidly scale your app.
- Less Maintenance Cost: Express is a full-stack JS framework, due to which you don’t need to hire many developers for handling the front-end and backend of a web app.
- Community Support: You can get assistance whenever you face issues while working with Express.js due to the vast community support.
- Google v8 Engine Support: The Google v8 Engine supports Express.JS. Therefore, you can expect better performance without any error in the processing.
Flask is one of the best Python-based web app frameworks that help create robust and modern web apps. It’s a WSGI framework that runs on the webserver rather than the user’s browser.
As per Statista report, 16.14% of respondents marked Flask as one of the most extensively used web frameworks in 2021. Accordingly to another report by Jetbrains, 46% of Python developers prefer to choose Flask for developing web applications.
Key Features of Flask
The primary features of Flask are as follows:
- WSGI Assistance and Templating: Flask features a Werkzeug toolkit for creating WSGI-compatible web applications and Jinja2 for building templates.
- In-Built Development Server: The in-built development server of Flask provides an engaging debugger and enables developers to implement Python code in the browser if any mistake occurs at the time of a request.
- Rapid Development and Deployment: You can easily set up and design Flask for writing less code and rapidly deploy as a microservice. It’s a lightweight framework with fewer abstraction layers. It can quickly create an MVP.
- Minimalistic: Flask is a minimalistic framework that can rapidly set up web servers. Because of this feature, it can bundle core elements by default.
- RESTful Request Dispatching: Flask features a RESTful extension that allows minimal setup for creating REST APIs. It deals with HTTP and RESTful requests effectively and removes HTTP boilerplate code.
Benefits of Using Flask
Here’s why you must use Flask for web app development:
- Flexible: Flask offers different particular URL arguments, in-built dynamic URL parameters, templates, and HTML attributes that help you boost your web app’s responsiveness conveniently.
- Scalable: Flask is popular for creating scalable apps as it can process many requests regardless of the adjusting requirements.
- Easy to Learn: Flask is a well-documented and un-opinionated framework that is easy to learn. Hence, beginners can learn rapidly.
- Quicker Implementation: Flask aids exploration by using new or trending technologies faster. Thereby, it’s a great framework to try innovative or new features for web development.
Laravel is an open-source PHP framework that helps create Symfony-based web apps by following MVC architecture. Experts rate it as one of the best web frameworks for backend development. Laravel offers many ways of using relational databases alongside app maintenance and deployment services.
Key Features of Laravel
The fundamental features of Laravel include:
- Security: Laravel offers robust app security, with hashed and salted password methods. It also uses the Bcrypt Hashing Algorithm for creating an encrypted password. The framework uses readymade SQL statements to eradicate the possibilities of injection attacks.
- Template Engine: Laravel boasts lightweight in-built templates that you can use for creating layouts and producing content. Moreover, it offers widgets with CSS and JS code. Laravel templates are great for creating simple and complex sectioned designs.
- Eloquent Object Relational Mapping: Laravel provides its users with Eloquent ORM, including an easy PHP Active Record implementation. ORM helps app developers build database queries using PHP syntax without writing SQL code.
- MVC Architecture: Laravel provides MVC architecture support to individualize business logic and presentation layers efficiently. The MVC provides several functions, boosts security and scalability, and aids better performance.
Benefits of Using Laravel
Here’s why you should go for Laravel web development:
- Simple API: Laravel provides a simple API that works seamlessly with the SwiftMailer library. The framework offers SparkPost, Amazon SES, Mailgun, SMTP, and Mandrill drivers. Moreover, it boasts drivers for PHP mail and sends mail.
Laravel allows rapid application mail sending via a local or cloud-based service. Also, it offers notification sending support across many delivery channels.
- Authentication: Implementation of authentication is easy with Laravel, as it provides simple configuration. Laravel aids easy authorization logic management and simple control of access resources.
- Testing: This test-friendly framework provides PHPUnit support alongside a prepared phpunit.xml file for apps. Laravel offers helper techniques for expressive app testing. It also offers simple user behavior simulation for app requests, link clicks, and form filling.
- Logs: A Laravel project features error management and a pre-configured exception. Furthermore, it features Monolog logging library integration and assists many log managers.
- Cache Backends: Laravel assists Memcached, Redis, and other popular cache backends. It utilizes the file cache driver that carries out cached object storage in a file system. Laravel also allows users to configure many cache configurations.
5. Gin Gonic
Gin Gonic is one of the best Golang frameworks popular for creating high-performing APIs by including important libraries and features. It’s a simple and lean framework and a perfect tool for creating high-performing REST APIs.
Gin boasts a Martini-like API, but it performs up to 40 times quicker than Martini. The framework ensures better performance and productivity.
Key Features of Gin
- Middleware Support: Gin offers a series of middleware to manage an incoming HTTP request. For instance, GZIP, Authorization, Logger, and ultimately post a message in the database.
- JSON Authentication: Gin can parse and authenticate a checking request JSON. For instance, the presence of essential values.
- Built-in Rendering: Gin offers an easy-to-use API for HTML, XML, and JSON rendering.
- Routes Grouping: Gin streamlines your routes better. Moreover, it can nest groups infinitely without compromising performance.
Benefits of Using Gin
Here’s why you should use Gin Gonic for web development:
- Fast: Gin offers Radix tree-based routing and a small memory footprint. It provides speedier API performance.
- Error Handling: Gin offers a flexible method of gathering all errors that occurred at the time of an HTTP request. Finally, middleware can write them to a database, a log file, and send them via the network.
- Crash-Free: Gin can catch a problem that occurred during an HTTP request and restore it. Hence, your server is always readily available.
- Extendable: Gin makes it easy to create new middleware. You can check out the sample code for producing new middleware.
6. Ruby on Rails
Ruby on Rails, also known as Rails, is an open-source web app development framework written in the Ruby programming language. It encourages developers to use patterns like MVC (Model View Controller) and DRY (Don’t Repeat Yourself).
Key Features of Ruby on Rails
Here are some features that make Ruby on Rails different from other web frameworks:
- Automated Testing: Ruby runs its set of tests on the codes written by developers. It helps save time and effort while assuring quality development.
- Convention over Configuration: RoR helps build the advanced matching elements by sensing easy formal components.
- Scaffolding: This feature allows programmers to decide how the app database should work. Then, the framework creates the essential code automatically and accordingly. The method automatically makes interfaces.
- Localization: This feature helps programmers combine their pre-designed code into their framework for a big project.
- Libraries: RoR contains many large libraries that can equip developers with all essential tools to build a high-quality database access library, product AJAX library, and common tasks library.
Benefits of Using Ruby on Rails
- Accurate & Reliable: RoR contains test-driven techniques due to its combined automated testing feature. This feature helps developers accomplish fewer errors and better consistency. Hence, this framework is authentic and easy to handle.
- Rapid Development: RoR functions quickly and saves lots of time by easing many tasks. Hence, it helps achieve your goals quicker. Moreover, it acts more in less time, assuring a great quality.
- Efficient & Wide Developer Community: There are many experienced and skilled developers in Ruby on Rails who can troubleshoot some development problems, and you can consult them in problematic areas.
- Easy Scalability with Quality Result: RoR’s scalability helps developers manage bigger and harder duties. Even if you are working on a smaller project, RoR can expand it significantly without decreasing its quality.
- Great Use of Execution: RoR amazingly deals with complicacy in logic and presents with accuracy, thereby helping produce great code that targets the precise output.
How to Choose the Right Backend Framework?
Apart from these six strong backend frameworks for web application development, more frameworks are there with their pros and cons. However, it’s up to you to decide on an API tech stack for your project. It relies on the company targets, product vision, and user demands.
Nonetheless, to select the right backend framework, we recommend consulting with tech experts to develop your business further.